Taco Bay Commercial Company was an American-owned agricultural enterprise with extensive property holdings in Cuba from 1903 to 1920. The company had 21,000 acres of mostly cocoanut trees and cocoa plants with a small amount of sugar cane on its plantation near Baracoa in easternmost Oriente province. Its headquarters was in Boston with a major branch office in Jacksonville, Florida. The company was renamed Taco Bay Company following its sale in 1916 for $25,000.
Initially, directors of the company viewed the land as a safe investment and neglected to manage the holdings adequately. This oversight manifested itself in low crop yields in the early years, poor on-site management, and ongoing boundary disputes resulting from inadequate surveying and difficulties with Cuban officials. At least 7,000 acres were in dispute in 1912 with an additional 5,000 to 6,000 possibly included. Ultimately, Taco Bay regained the disputed property. The company president and the property manager both were replaced at about the same time.
The directors of Taco Bay Company conceded that they had neither the time nor the energy to oversee a plantation that continued to develop and increase in value. They sold the company to a group of investors in 1920 for $200,000 and the collection terminates at the point of the sale.